Women are good at a lot of things, but let's admit it: men are better at play . . . pure, uninterrupted, guilt-free play.
I believe men can teach us a great deal about claiming pleasure.
We witness men rallying around weekend play like a dog with a ball looking for his master. We see most men taking the time they want and need without pause. If you are starting to feel a charge brewing inside, don't. We need to honor this trait and learn from it.
Speaking of brewing. Who is more likely to crack open a beer before 5:00 pm in your house? And why is that? I'll tell you. Men were not born with the "couldn't possibly gene." For example, do any of these resonate with you?
- I couldn't possibly go to bed before the kitchen is clean.
- I couldn't possibly go away for a girls' weekend.
- I couldn't possibly take a detour on the way home to go shopping just for me.
- I couldn't possibly sit and watch an entire football game.
- I couldn't possibly stay in bed and read a bit before feeding my kids breakfast.
And if this feels too indulgent, I suggest you pass this on to your favorite man and ask for a little help:
HOW TO HELP WOMEN EMBRACE PLAY
- When you see her forgetting to exhale, suggest she take a break. You may need to show her how.
- Remind her that every time she asks for a hall pass, you say Yes.
- Encourage her to stay in bed and read while you make breakfast. (Don't worry, she probably won't take you up on it, but you'll get major credit.)
- Invite her to join you the next time you are looking for someone to play catch.
- And if none of these work, give her a mandatory hall pass, even if she hasn't asked for one.